Custom Search

Friday, June 12, 2009

Sunscreen


I have a serious fear of getting old. I also have an aversion to anything about or around me looking old. I was sitting in class one evening and we were discussing the aging process. I started to have a panic attack while discussing the theory of our DNA having a limited number of telomeres and aging occurring because they are being used up. I did not want all my telomeres used up!!! This fear carries over to things as well. I have a tendency to go around the house and throw out things that look “old.” This upsets my family, especially my husband. He seems to have the most stuff that looks “old.” I once threw out his Strivectin eye cream. It was old and I didn’t want it in the drawer anymore. I pretended he lost it when he started getting pissed about it missing. I am well aware aging is a natural process and it happens, but I am also aware of things that can help slow that process down and I intend to slow it down as much as possible. One of the ways is with sunscreen. We all know the sun is numero uno in expediting the aging process when it comes to our skin. That said, we have to protect ourselves from those UVA (you “vill” age) and UVB (you “vill” burn) rays. Since the age of 13, I have religiously worn sunscreen EVERY DAY. Yes, at the age of 13 when nothing wrinkled or even slightly creased, I was concerned about getting wrinkles and age spots. I was born vain. I have found over the years a collection of sunscreens (minimum SPF 30) that I think work well and don’t feel like sunscreen. The one thing I hate is that thick, white greasy residue a lot of sunscreens have. Here are some worth a look:
 
DDF Organic Sun Protection SPF 30. This is what I use everyday!!! I like this one because I recently developed a sensitivity to the ingredients of many sunscreen products. This one contains an organic sun protection (zinc and titanium dioxide) and leaves me without breakouts. I am not willing to sacrifice one evil (acne) for the other (wrinkles). I also TRY to use things that are as natural as possible, so I am happy to find a sunscreen that doesn’t have the chemical ingredients (which may possibly penetrate the skin) but still protects from the aging and burning rays. It is also fragrance free, making it great for sensitive skin.
 

Oil of Olay Complete SPF 30 Defense Daily UV Moisturizer. Non-greasy and very budget friendly. The active ingredients blocking the UVA/UVB rays are: Homosalate, Avobenzone, Octocrylene, Ensulizole. Just FYI… there is some speculation that the Octocrylene can penetrate into the skin and act as a photosensitizer. This results in an increased production of free radicals under illumination. Simply put, it may cause cancer. After reading, I am sure you are wondering why the hell I listed this. No. I don’t want you to get cancer. First, it hasn’t been proven that it is cancer causing, and second, it’s a great find for those on a budget. I’d rather you wear sunscreen than go without. If you don’t wear sunscreen, you most definitely will get cancer. Oh- and you’ll look old. We all know how I feel about that.

 

Elta MD Skincare UV Sport SPF 50. This is what I use on days spent in the sun. This one is thicker, and considering the high SPF it is relatively non-greasy. Elta also makes a moisturizer with SPF 30 that is great for daily use. The active ingredient in Elta MD is zinc oxide. Elta MD is suitable for all skin types.

 

Z. Bigatti Silk Screen SPF 30. Another great lightweight sunscreen. Has a super smooth feel and leaves your face feeling matte. Great for summer. Active ingredients are: Octinoxate, Octisalate, Oxybenzone, and Octocrylene. Z. Bigatti also contains hydrolyzed silk, which is supposed to be able to hold 10,000 times in water. Maybe that is why it is so damn expensive.

 

If you aren’t already, you need to include a sunscreen in your daily routine. If you don’t, you run the risk of damaged skin. By damaged, I mean old-looking.

xoxo din

3 comments:

  1. I love the Elta MD SPF 30 - use it daily, but it's not waterproof. I'm wondering if the Elta MD Sport is waterproof??? Should be, right? I need something for swimming. Elta MD is good - at first I thought it was making my skin look a little white in pictures, but then I realized it was just the powder I had been wearing - yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Elta MD Sport is SPF 50. It is not waterproof, but it is water resistant. "Waterproof" sunscreen should provide protection in the water for 80 minutes, while "water resistant" provides only 40 minutes of protection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 2 fav sunscreens are:
    Anthelios SX by La Roche-Posay (SPF15)
    Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion (SPF55)

    Neutrogena has 100 SPF now. Sounds like overkill to me, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete